Tuesday, December 25, 2007

It's Christmas!! It's Christmas!!


"It's Christmas!!! It's Christmas!!! Daddy, Daddy, can we open up our presents already?? Please..please...please..." asked my 2 lovely daughters.

Before we let the kids open up their presents, it has been our tradition to read the Christmas story from the Bible. My wife and I feels that it's important that our daughters learn the true reason for celebrating Christmas. We don't want them growing up thinking that Christmas is all about Santa Claus and his reindeers, going to parties and receiving presents. There is nothing wrong with these things but we feel that it's our responsibility to teach them what we believe in.

So after we read the Christmas story with our daughter Cheryl doing the reading, we prayed for for the best gift that mankind has received from our Lord. After praying, then that's the time that the kids open up their presents.

I just love watching my kids open up their presents and the change in the way they open them. When Cheryl was still very young, she would try hard not to destroy the wrapper. But now, she just have a blast ripping the wrappers apart! Abby was different. Right from the start, she just rips the paper apart. The excitement that I see in their eyes is priceless and something that I will cherish all my life. And the way my two daughters interact with each other during this time always bring joy to my heart.

I was the only one not opening any presents but I didn't really care. Just seeing my wife and kids happy, everybody in the family healthy, having a roof over our head and warm meal in our tummies is more than enough for me. You see during my younger years, I grew up in the slums back home in the Philippines. We were literally dirt poor. I have lived a life of having nothing and worrying about when our next meal is going to be. It was really tough on my mom and dad. I know that they didn't want their kids to be in that situation but things really weren't working out well for them. But with the Lord's blessings, things turned around. And now here I am in the US with a wonderful wife and beautiful daughters and having a very comfortable life. So, all I have to do is look back and that will always put the sense of satisfaction in my heart.

But of course, not having any present to open on Christmas day gave me the opportunity to mess with my oldest daughter's mind. I can't resist to play the "poor thing" card. She got so worried and kept explaining that she wanted to create something special for me. Eventually, I finally let her off the hook and told her that Daddy is just teasing her.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!!!

No comments: